Monday, June 29, 2009

TWA: Favorite Books

The Dressing Room's assignment this week is to make a list of my favorite books. These can be kids books, novels, nonfiction, whatever.



Crazy Love tops my list! The subtitle is Overwhelmed By a Relentless God. That alone leaves me breathless. First-time author Francis Chan, pastor of Cornerstone Church in Simi Valley, California, regular speaker at Passion conferences and other events, takes his chance to challenge the Church. “This book,” he says, “is written for those who want more Jesus. It is for those who are bored with what American Christianity offers. It is for those who don’t want to plateau, who would rather die before their convictions do.” It is a book that is meant to change the way Christians live their lives.



Dangerous Surrender is another favorite. It was written by Kay Warren, wife to Pastor Rick Warren who wrote The Purpose Driven Life. It’s subtitle is What Happens When You Say Yes to God? I found that this is a paradigm-shaking book with a message that Christians desperately need to hear. Too many of us are living too safely and too easily. This is a brutally honest account of her journey into HIV/AIDS activism. I have such a heart for Africa, where she served so humbly. I actually wrote her a letter after finished reading her book and she wrote me back, hand-written on her stationary.



Here are some of our family favs for the kids:


Good Night Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone

The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein (I have this whole book memorized!)

Pat the Bunny by Dorothy Kunhardt

Where is Baby's Mommy? by Karen Katz ( I have written a blog on this one.)

Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney

My Big Animal Book by Roger Priddy

Labels

Followers

Blog Archive