Thursday, November 3, 2011

Day one of many....

Our days and nights are mixed up. I probably would have kept sleeping, but Joe has been stirring for a while. It's just a little past midnight here in Beijing. Our Hotel is lovely, very fancy. It is the Jianguo Hotel. I have tried several times to replicate our guide in pronouncing it, but it is a wild word. Beijing is a big city so it feels modern. Everything is in Chinese characters and English so we are not feeling lost at all.
Apparently, there were all kinds of wrecks yesterday morning when we left for the airport. Our flight was around 9:30 and we arrived at the airport at 9, following a 2 hour drive to the airport which should have taken around 40 minutes. The plane had already pulled from the ramp. We walked outside and up the plane steps to find our seats among the waiting passengers to Chicago. I offered my most humble smile as we made our way to the very last seats against the back wall of the plane. This was when we first felt YOUR prayers and God's hands holding us so carefully. One flight attendant sought us out to offer us waters. No one else was served before the flight left, but she was so kind to us- even though we held the flight up. She sat next to us and we shared with her where we were going, China, to adopt our son. She listened and asked questions. I pulled out Matthew's little picture to brag on him like a new mother. I soon realized that I don't even know him. With Thomas, I show his photo and proceed with comments on how he looks and acts just like his daddy. He is shy, but so hilarious. Catherine is a darling little girl, so tender and delicate physically, but feisty and spirited internally. Matthew, he is my son. I read that he likes to tear paper by slipping a sheet of paper under his foot and tearing it with his one hand God gave him. How ingenious. I've read that he is a good eater. All I know of my baby is what has been shared with me.
On the flight to Beijing, it took aroun12.5 hours to get here. Around 7 hours in, I felt so relaxed, comfortable and thankful to the great God I serve- who had listened and answered to the many prayers being prayed over our flights. I knew we were being covered.
Everything looks amazing from the sky... clouds above and below. Patchwork fields and little pencil lined roads among homes and apartment buildings. We were treated to a treasure of a display though as we flew over Siberia.... long sheets of ice with cracks that stretched for miles. Then, the tallest mountain ranges covered in snow, looking like peaks of Cool Whip that stretch as far as you can see for hours at a time. Mesmerizing.
We slept quite a bit on the plane and I was blessed with dreams of Matthew, his face seeing us and us seeing him. My mind kept going through the meeting day- and feeling so overwhelmed with the greatness of my God who, in all of His plans, cared enough for Matthew and us, to connect us together in such an intimate way, family. The same God who created the heavens and earth knew that one day, in China, a mother would feel desperate enough to abandon her precious newborn son. He knew that He would give Joe and I the gift of being Matthew's parents.

From the book, “Kisses From Katie” by Katie Davis (page 57)

“Mommy.” She said it and I knew. She was mine. I was captivated because Mommy is forever. It is such a powerful name. Mommy means “I trust you.” Mommy means “You will protect me.” Mommy is for shouting when you need someone dependable and for laughing with when you are excited. Mommy is for crying on and cuddling with when you are sad or giggling and hiding behind when you are embarrassed. Mommy is the fixer of boo-boos and the mender of broken hearts. Mommy is a comfort place, a safe place. Mommy means you are mine and I am yours and we are family.

Labels

Followers