Friday, July 1, 2011

What God is teaching me through potty-training:


Catherine just made a big mess in her pull-up diaper. She has been doing so well at potty-training, but she had just woken up from her nap and guess she still wasn't fully awake. She just turned three last month and these things are expected.

Thomas, however, will be five-years-old in only four short months. What is his excuse when he does it in his underwear.... way more often than Catherine does it.

He eagerly follows me into the bedroom and watches me grab the canister of baby wipes. He stands behind me as I start to change her diaper. "WORDY MERCY, CAKI!!!!" he shouts! (Toddler-ease for "Lord have mercy!") He begged the good Lord to have mercy on us and then went on to ask how she was going to be punished, even making suggestion for me on how to teach her a lesson in keeping the poo in the potty.

Thomas has a big head today since he actually DID poo in the potty at Buster's burger joint today at lunch. Everyone knows its easiest to get kids to go at home to this was a huge deal! My dad refers to this as "pitching an away game."

Anyways- I'm left thinking of how we do this same thing with God. We make a mess, He cleans it up. Someone else makes a mess, He is working on them and we are over His shoulder saying, "That was awful, Lord. Waaaaaaay worse than anything I would ever do. They ought to have this or that as a punishment. That would teach 'em."

It's not our place though. God knows us so intimately and knows just where we are in our walk with him just as I know my own children and their abilities and maturity levels in different situations. Even deeper though- to the core of us.

In the last verse of Chris Tomlin's song Indescribable, he sings:

Incomparable, unchangeable
You see the depths of my heart and You love me the same
You are amazing God


I remember the first time I heard those words. He KNOWS me totally and LOVES me totally! I felt a huge breath let out like, WOW.... I don't have to be anything but me, coming as I am to Him. And... I don't ever have to compare myself to anyone else.

Thankful and humbled that He teaches me through my children.

Labels

Followers